Easter is a great Food Recipes excuse to indulge in chocolate and these cupcakes are no exception. Not only are they pretty but everyone will love finding the hidden caramel filled chocolate egg in the middle!
- 12 large paper cupcake cases - approximately 5cm diameter by 6cm tall
- 200g butter, softened
- 1 cup soft brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp cocoa
- 12 small caramel filled Easter eggs
- Chocolate Butter Cream
- 75g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 - 3 flake bars
- 36 small candy Easter eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (fan bake). Place paper patty cases into a muffin tray. This will help support the cakes while cooking.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa into the creamed mixture and gently fold to combine, being careful not to over mix.
- ¾ fill each patty case with the mixture. Press an Easter egg gently into the mixture to cover. Bake 15-20 minutes until cakes are cooked. Remove from the oven and stand for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cupcakes from the muffin tray and place on a baking rack to cool completely.
- To make chocolate butter cream put softened butter into a small mixing bowl. Sift icing sugar and cocoa into the bowl. Beat until smooth adding ½ Tbsp of hot water if necessary to make a smooth and spreadable consistency.
- When cakes are cold ice tops with chocolate butter cream. While butter cream is still soft create a nest with flake bar and place 3 small candy Easter eggs into the centre of the nest.